Sociology Degree Program
If you have an interest in the way society functions, and are intrigued by its order, politics, injustices, and achievements, the Sociology major at CMU is a great fit for you. Through your academic experiences, you will build a knowledge and skill set that strengthen your understanding of social issues, while developing the tools needed to understand how to make an impact on current conditions.
About This Program
The Sociology major educates students through analytical thinking, research, experiments, surveys, and other existing data pertaining to social phenomena. You will solve complex problems, study the different ways you can make social changes, communicate your ideas to others, and develop solutions. Experience in these areas is highly desired by employers, and the skills you will develop will prepare you for professional success.
As a CMU Sociology major, you will have opportunities to:
- build in-demand skills while taking classes such as Social Theory, Research Design and Data Analysis, Gender and Sexuality, World Cultures, Family Relationships and Values, Social Deviance, and Criminology
- develop a deep understanding of society’s order
- receive hands-on learning through projects, presentations, seminars, internships, and various off-campus experiences
- obtain the educational background desired by employers in a variety of fields pertaining to social work, government, civic leadership, education, psychology, and more
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology - Fayette Campus, Online / Statewide
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology - Fayette Campus, Online / Statewide
- minors in Sociology are also available - Fayette Campus, Online / Statewide
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.