Professional Writing & Publication
CMU’s Professional Writing & Publication program equips students with a valuable skill set in content-creation. Students focus their studies on the writing process, exploring and composing in multiple genres and modalities while gaining experience in the publication professions. The Professional Writing & Publication major prepares students for careers in creative writing, journalism, editing, publishing, technical/business writing, and many other professions that require strong communication skills and creative minds.
About this Program
The Professional Writing & Publication programs gives students the freedom to build a degree that fits both their creative and professional goals. Classes cover a wide variety of composition areas, from creative writing to journalism, technical writing to magazine editing. Students also get hands-on experience writing for a newspaper, editing a literary journal, and exploring different career paths through internships.
As a CMU Professional Writing & Publication major, you will have opportunities to:
- enroll in an exciting variety of classes such as Creative Writing, Journalism, Editing and Publication, Language and Linguistics, and Special Topics in Writing.
- recent special topics include the following: Writing & Hollywood; Video Games, Culture, and Play; Sports Writing; Writing the Memoir; Visual Rhetoric; The Art of Storytelling; Imagination, Joy, and Harry Potter; and Humor, Comedy, and Meaning in Life.
- gain important experience as a journalist for The Collegian and as a contributor to/editor for Inscape, CMU’s Magazine of the Arts.
- tailor your degree based on a flexible curriculum that focuses on creative expression, writing as a process, genre exploration, hands-on learning, professional experiences and internships.
- develop a valuable skill set desired by employers in a variety of fields pertaining to journalism, editing, publishing, technical/business writing, creative writing, and marketing.
- prepare for graduate-level work in English, creative writing, journalism, publication, law and more.