Student Cares Act Grant Info & Application
Message from the President
Students: I’m thrilled to announce that we are now inviting applications for emergency grant funds to help offset additional expenditures you may have incurred as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. In addition to the room & board credits for which you may already have qualified, you may also apply for additional relief from this pool of Federal funds. I look forward to seeing each of you very soon as you either return to the campus you love or return for the future commencement exercise that was unavoidably deferred.
Additional information and the on-line application form can be found below for your use.
Roger D. Drake
COVID-19 Emergency Funding – CARES Act
Are you a CMU student with expenses related to the disruption of CMU operations due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic? If so, you may qualify for a federal CARES Act grant, which provides emergency funding for college students.
- Must be a continuing student enrolled in a CMU summer 2020 or Fall 2020 session.
- Only students enrolled as a CMU full-time or part-time undergraduate degree-seeking student on March 13, 2020.
- Have a demonstrated emergency financial need due to the disruption of campus operations.
- Be in good academic standing, as determined by the University.
- Must be eligible for Title IV (federal aid)
- Both CLAS and CGES students are eligible
- International or On-line only students are not eligible
Examples of Expenses Considered:
- Assistance with rent, alternate housing accommodations, and/or utilities.
- Assistance with groceries/food and/or other essential household expenses.
- Medication(s) and/or other costs related to medical care.
- Books, computers, and/or other essential academic expenses.
- Any other expense that reflects an emergency need for a student, as deemed to be appropriate due to the disruption of campus operations.
Students in need of the CARES Emergency Grant assistance must submit the on-line application form. The submitted application will be reviewed and based on need the committee will determine the appropriate funding amount. Grant amounts awarded will vary based on circumstance and need, with the maximum award not to exceed $800. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis in the order that they are submitted. The number of students who will receive grants is subject to the availability of funds.
Disbursing of Funds
Approved grants will be disbursed through the method set up on the student’s MyCMU. If the student is enrolled with direct deposit it will be sent to the student’s account within 3-5 business days from date of approval. For students who do not have a direct deposit account, a check will be mailed to the address on file with the University (please note that there may be some delays with processing checks, due to the current circumstances).
Questions can be directed to: studentCARESgrants@centralmethodist.edu