Not sure what you want to study? No worries - it happens a lot! Being undecided gives you time to explore many subjects to determine where your passion lies. It is perfectly fine if it takes you a couple of semesters to make a decision about which major you'd like to pursue. College is all about discovery - especially discovering your own talents and interests.
Having an undecided major allows you to work on general education courses (the ones all students must take for a degree) and study an array of subjects that interest you. If you're unsure what you'd like your major to be, this option gives you time to figure it out. In your classes, you'll be exposed to a wide variety of interesting topics while deciding which direction you want to go. Need help deciding? Your professors, advisor, friends, and Career Development Center staff can help point you in the right direction.
Being undecided, you will have opportunities to:
- explore many subject areas while completing general education courses
- become efficient in researching, presenting, and working both on a team and as an individual
- participate in hands-on learning experiences
- discover interests and abilities that will guide you in choosing an area of study
- develop the knowledge and skills needed to pursue an array of career choices
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.